Build: knock off chalkboard sign
I made this sign for a birthday party, borrowing the idea from Pottery Barn's Peter Rabbit chalkboard sign in their Spring 2011 catalog:
Here it is at the bakery for the party:
(You can see how I made the gingham trimmed burlap bunting here.)
Here's how I made the chalkboard sign:
1. Cut 1/2" plywood to 24" x 27".
Make a craft paper template. Cut the craft paper same size as wood then fold in half and half again:
Draw curvy edges:
3. Place template on top of plywood and trace around edges:
4. Using a jigsaw cut out curvy edges then sand smooth:
5. Paint two coats black chalkboard paint.
Add pink detail edge, I needed 3 coats to get the pink opaque:
6. Season the chalkboard by rubbing chalk all over then erase with cloth:
7. Start adding lettering:
8. Add hook eyes into edge board at top:
We ended up not using the hooks but they're ready for next time.
A great, fast and easy project that's reusable for any occasion.
I'm linking up to:
SAS @ Funky Junk
Nifty Thrifty Sunday @ Nifty Thrifty Things
DIY Project Parade @ The DIY Showoff
Tutorials & Tips Tuesday @ Home Stories A to Z
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
Share Awesomeness Thur @ The 36th Avenue
Pretty Things Thursday @ Scissors & Spatulas
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
SAS @ Just a Girl
Remodelaholics Anonymous @ Remodelaholic