Build: teacher chalkboard gift
Make your end of the school year teacher's gifts one they are sure to enjoy with this super fast build.
I used Ana White's craftsman frame plans found here and resized the dimensions to fit the chalkboard pieces I had on hand.
These frames are built with furring strips which are very rustic, the stain really helps brings out all the knots and variations in the wood plus furring strips are super inexpensive.
Each framed chalkboard costs about $5 to make.
Complete the framed chalkboard gift with a chalk marker, it's easier to use, less dusty and messy and wipes clean with a damp cloth:
How to make the framed chalkboards:
1. Using Ana's plans as a guide cut wood piece to fit your chalkboard piece:
2. Once assembled sand well and stain with Minwax provincial:
3. Seal with two coats Minwax polyurethane semi-gloss (oil based to resist chalk residue):
4. To attach chalkboard piece first run a bead of glue on the back near the opening:
5. Use 5/8" finish nails or screws to attach chalkboard in place:
6. To add hanging wire mark screw-eye holes about 6" down from top edge.
Predrill hole and screw eye in place:
(Repeat for other side.)
7. Attach picture hanging wire to screw eyes.
I'm linking up to:
SAS @ Funky Junk
Nifty Thrifty Sunday @ Nifty Thrifty Things
That DIY Showoff @ The DIY Showoff
Tutorials & Tips Tuesday @ Home Stories A to Z
The Scoop @ Lolly Jane
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Creek Cottage
Share Awesomeness Thur @ The 36th Avenue
Pretty Things Thursday @ Scissors & Spatulas
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed
SAS @ Just a Girl
Remodelaholics Anonymous @ Remodelaholic
inspiration board @ Carolyns Homework